Cohabitation and Prenuptial Agreements

If you are just entering a new relationship or about to enter into a second marriage, you may want to protect some or all of your assets that you are bringing into the relationship and you may not want to share all of your pre-relationship assets with your new spouse. You and your spouse can decide to enter into either a cohabitation agreement or prenuptial agreement to address these concerns.

Full-Service Retainer

Susan provides full legal services to her clients, regarding all of the following legal issues, which may or may not be relevant to your situation:

  • Children—parenting plans, custody, parenting time, parenting responsibilities, guardianship

  • Child support

  • Spousal support

  • Division of family property and family debt

  • Divorce

Depending on the process option that is suitable for your situation, resolution of these issues may be achieved via mediation, negotiated separation agreements and or the court process.

Separation Agreements

Negotiation and drafting of separation agreements specific to your situation.

Unbundled Legal Services

“Unbundling” is a term that refers to a situation where lawyers perform a specific and discrete task or tasks for clients and the clients handle other matters that, in a full-service retainer, would otherwise form part of the services that a lawyer provides. Susan will work with clients who wish to handle the majority of their separation, but do want to have legal support. Susan can provide specific services as agreed upon, which may include coaching the client for mediation; drafting court documents; coaching the client for negotiation; coaching the client for attendance in court; legal research of specific issues; independent legal advice on separation agreements; document review; document drafting, legal advice specific to an issue.

Uncontested Divorce

An uncontested divorce is a term that refers to a situation where the parties have resolved all legal issues, except for being legally divorced. In British Columbia, a divorce can only be obtained by way of a court order from the Supreme Court of B.C.

Court Proceedings

Susan does represent clients in family law cases in both the Provincial Court of B.C. and the Supreme Court of B.C., but generally Susan does not represent clients at family law trials. Should a trial be necessary, Susan will assist in referring your matter to a family law trial lawyer.

Landmark Two
#902 - 1708 Dolphin Avenue
Kelowna, BC V1Y 9S4

Main: 250-762-7100
Fax: 250-766-0147

Share this page